Owning wicker furniture is a smart move these days both financially and socially. It saves you plenty of money because of the upkeep and it is a great piece of furniture that will look good in any home. In fact, you can use it outside of the home as well. However, if you decide to keep wicker outside the home, it is going to need some regular upkeep.
Painting your wicker furniture is one way to keep the new look fresh but this process is a time consuming one and should be done the right way. You can bypass all the work by just covering your furniture up with wicker furniture covers. However, if you do not want to spend the extra money on these covers, you can follow these simple steps to keep your wicker looking brand new:
- Make sure you have all your tools and supplies ready. This means your paint, brushes and lacquer.
- Take your stripper and soften up the wicker so you can strip it down. You can use a hard bristle brush for this step. Remember that the stripper is going to soften the wicker up but once it dries, it will harden again.
- Once you are finished with the stripping process, wait two days so the wicker can harden again.
- Now you are ready for the painting process. Spray paints are going to work best with wicker because they spray evenly. It will also reach the crevices a lot better than brushes will. Allow the paint to dry.
- Once paint has dried, apply a lacquer via a spray. Again, using a spray is best because it does so evenly. You want to use a lacquer that is soft and not hard because the hard lacquers become brittle and will crack.